Thursday, June 10, 2010

Peaches or Compost?

Yikes! Today I was forced to pick the peaches before they were ripe because the flies were taking over. As I was picking these peach colored rocks, I wondered what I would be able to do with them. I have tried the method of putting the peaches in a brown bag to ripen but that has never worked for me with any fruit.

So what did I do? I went to the web, of course! There I found a method of ripening peaches that reportedly doesn't turn the peaches into compost.

The folks at Tall Clover Farm http://tallcloverfarm.com/?p=74 say to place the peaches stem side down on a linen napkin or cotton tea towel - not a terry towel and cover with a linen napkin or tea towel. Leave and let ripen in a cool location away from the sun. Go check out their web site for complete instructions and pictures of some yummy looking peaches.

I am going to give this method a try. I will let you know if it was successful.



No comments: